New Malden Vets's home page
  • Call our surgery020 8942 2202
  • Out of hours020 81270393
  • Book an Appointment

Pet Passports

Taking your pet abroad

It is often quite easy to take your pet on holiday, but there are important steps to follow, and it is important to allow plenty of time. It will take at least three weeks from starting the procedure, until you and your pet will be allowed to leave the UK for foreign travel. The main steps needed for travel in the EU are listed below. This will apply to some other destinations, but if you are intending to travel outside the EU please contact us directly as soon as you have plans, as the requirements are very varied and stringent.

If you have any queries, please contact us directly for more information or visit the UK Government website.

Step 1: Microchip implanted, or read if already present

Step 2: Rabies vaccination is given. A blood test to check that the vaccine has worked is no longer a legal requirement but we strongly recommend that you do have the blood test for the safety of your own pet.

Step 3: Your pet needs to be seen for a health check and to have the micro chip read. If everything is in order, a pet passport can be issued.

Step 4: 21 days after the date of the rabies vaccine you and your pet are now free to travel using an approved transport company on an authorised route.

Step 5: To travel back to the UK, a tapeworm treatment will have to be administered by a vet abroad 24-120 hours (1-5 days) before embarkation for the UK.

Step 6: To keep the passport up to date, the rabies booster must be carried out before the expiry date in the passport. While we try to send reminders, it must be stressed that keeping the passport up to date is the responsibility of the owners. If the passport lapses the whole process will need to start again.

Please be aware that while a tick treatment is no longer required for re-entry into the UK, we strongly recommend you protect your pet against ticks, mosquitoes and sandflies while outside the UK. These parasites can transmit potentially fatal diseases.

If you wish to travel outside central Europe, please contact us as soon as you have any plans, and also check with DEFRA for individual requirements.

Return to Services